Medusa, Dota 2 Guide and Preview. Medusa (also known as Gorgon in DotA) is an Dire/Scourge ranged agility hero which made its way in Dota 2 10 January patch update. Medusa is a hard carry hero known for it’s high AoE damage and late game ownage. She becomes indestructible if you acquire her core items early. Her massive attack speeds eats away any tank hero currently present in Dota. But, before doing that, Medusa needs a peaceful 20+ minutes farm to obtain levels/gold so she can be viable.
1. Split Shot (Hotkey: T)
Medusa magically splits her shot into five arrows. These arrows deal a lower percent of her normal damage.
• Only the primary target will recieve attack effects like bash and orb effects.
• Secondary targets will be the four closest enemy units excluding the primary target.
• Has a 0.1 seconds transformation time.
• You can dodge stuns while transforming.
2. Mystic Snake (Hotkey: C)
A mystic snake made of energy jumps from target to target dealing damage and stealing some energy. After it reaches its last target, it jumps back to Medusa to replenish it with mana. The snake deals more damage and steals more mana per jump. The snake’s power is increased by 20% each jump.
• Every time it steals mana (only happens on units with mana), the amount it steals is increased by 25% of its base value.
• Every time it damages, the damage amount is increased by 25% of its base value.
• The damage and mana steal amounts increase independently..
• The mystic snake moves at a speed of 633 until it is returning, at which point it moves at a speed of 833.
3. Mana Shield (Hotkey: E)
Creates a shield that absorbs 50% of the incoming damage by using Medusa’s mana.
• Absorbs damage before any damage reduction takes place, meaning that armor will not reduce the amount of mana needed to absorb damage.
• Requires mana to activate.
4. Ultimate – Stone Gaze (Hotkey: G)
Any enemy units staring at the Gorgon will slowly turn to stone, removing status buffs and slowing all speed properties. Deals more damage to summoned units per level.
• Affects any units that have line of sight with Medusa at any period during 5 seconds after cast.
• Units affected by the Stone Gaze cannot get reaffected during the application period.
• Affected units recover their speed over a 5 seconds duration.
Medusa Skill/Abilities Build:
Level 1-5: Mystic Snake (Level 3) and Mana Shield (Level 2)
Level 6: Ultimate – Stone Gaze
Level 6-12: Max Mystic Snake, Max Mana Shield, Stone Gaze (Level 2), take Level 2 Stat attributes.
Level 13-15: Take Split Shot (Level 3)
Level 16-25: Max Split Shot, Stats and take Stone Gaze (Level 3)
Medusa Item Build
- Power Treads / Magic Stick / Perseverance / Ring of Basilius / Wraith Band
- Shadowblade (Lothar’s Edge)
- Linkin Sphere
- Manta Style
- Monkey King Bar
- Buriza De Kanyon
- Maelstorm / Mjollnr
Medusa Strategy Guide:
Buy your items and head out to a lane. It doesn’t matter which lane that much, but be careful not to lane against heroes that can seriously disrupt early game farming. If you don’t have mana shield early game(before 6), stay back and harass passively with Mystic Snake or when enemies come forward to last hit. But with mana shield you are very tough, wear your enemies down before they wear your mana off!
Farm, farm, farm. Every minute is better spent farming. Cower to a tower and farm. Keep the lane to your side. Don’t ask me how to do it or don’t use a farmer! Don’t use Mystic Snake or Splitshot unless you’re intentionally pushing or going elsewhere. Do not actively go to team fights, the faster you have Manta Style the better. Once you have Manta Style however, start going to team fights while pushing when there’s none. Balance well between both. Normally your DPS is still not enough for a guaranteed victory, farm by pushing, an occasional kill in team fights and last hitting towers. Here’s where you show off your awesome team play sense!
Medusa deals damage much like Necrolyte and Proudmore. Necrolyte relies on Death Pulse/5 sec while Kunkka – Tidebringer/4sec. You have a 0 cooldown 0 mana Splitshot that increases your physical damage to 300% but divides it between 4 targets. For this reason I suggest turning on Splitshot at all times, you are not a good burst damage dealer nor should you try to be. Put frankly, killing/ganking is not your task. Your task is to wear them all off before they kill you one by one.
Golden rules for team fights:
- Positioning: always move in after your team fight initiators
- DPS: Splitshot on+2 illusions
- Survivability: Mana shield on!
- Surprise: A charged Magic wand saves the day